AddressShop 2/38, Bolton St. Sydney. Sydney, NSW, 2000.
Are you the owner or manager of this company?
What you should know about Chinese Garden Teahouse
For more than 7,00 years Darling Barbour was a frontier a boundary between the Wangal and Gadigal clans of the coastal Cora people who worn the Barbour for food and transport up the Parramatta River. The shores were littered with the remnants of oyster shells and other shellfish remains accumulated over thousands of years and it is this that led the Europeans to call the area Cockle Bay. In the early years of the colony, the only European visitors to the shores of Darling Barbour were the lime burners and hungry convicts and settlers searching for mussels and other shellfish. Poorly fired bricks and a deficit of lime for mortar hampered premature building in the colony. The huge middens of shellfish shells in Cockle Bay were the flawless source for lime. The history of the Barbour has been embodied in the ships which impaired it, the shipyards and wharves along its shores and the myriad of factories and warehouses that grew up in the surrounding streets. The Market Street Wharf (where Sydney Aquarium now stands) was built in the 1820s and is the only remaining wharf from this era. It was here that the first steam engine in Australia started work in 1815, the first iron hulled ship was assembled and the colony’s beginning foundries belched smoke along its shores, as did the beginning steamship to be launched. For much of the nineteenth century, wheat, wool, coal and timber were the principal cargoes to pass across the wharves but from the 1870s wool became the prime commodity. A major railway goods yard was established on the Ultimo side of the Barbour in the 1870s. In 1874, the world's first stuffed iron wharf was built where Tumbalong Park now stands. The Iron Wharf was considered one of the immense engineering feats of the time and was the largest steel structure in the world until the construction of the Eiffel Tower. The beginning wharf was built in the 1820s to service these markets. In 1861, the world's beginning frosty works were built by Thomas Mort behind the process was developed by ED Nicole. Around the turn of the century the Ultimo Power Station supplied electricity for Sydney’s beginning electric trams and its neighbor in Pyrmont supplied power to Sydney households through the beginning reticulated grid. The rail yards continued to grow and by 1891 they were handling most of Australia’s export produce. The area continued to thrive as coastal steamers plied their trade along Australia's coast and across the Pacific. The Beginning World War stimulated growth but also led to the General Strike in 1917. The Vast Depression of the 1930s affected Darling Barbour in much the equivalent way as it affected aging industrial centers around the world. It hit the casual laborers on the wharves particularly firm and the streets where they queued for the chance of a scanty hours of backbreaking labor became known as the Hungry Mile. The Second World War stimulated trade and industry but by the time it ended the coastal shopping trade had disappeared and many industries around the Barbour were decaying. This process continued after the war and, although the rail yards continued their growth for a scanty years, in 1984 the last goods train steamed out of the yards and the industrial history of Darling Barbour all but ended. The subsequent year large works were undertaken in preparation for the Sydney 200 Olympic Games.